Lightning Strike Sparks West Tulsa House Fire


Tuesday, July 21st 2015, 6:46 am
By: News On 6


A west Tulsa family was awakened early Tuesday to find the roof of their home on fire.

The Tulsa Fire Department got the call at about 3 a.m. to the home near West 68th Place and 28th West Avenue.  

The homeowner said they heard a loud bang before they went to bed late Monday, but when they checked they found nothing.  Firefighters believe that bang was a lightning strike that caused some electrical wires to smolder and eventually catch on fire.    

The family of three made it out safely before firefighters arrived.  

The fire department says the fire was contained to the attic and roof, but the rest of the home sustained smoke and water damage.  

The family is now staying at a relative's home nearby.