The Oral Roberts University women's basketball team turned in one of its most complete games of the season shutting down North Dakota State, 67-41, in a Summit League victory Wednesday night.
The Golden Eagles held the Bison to the lowest point total in a half - with just 16 first half points - and the fewest points allowed in a game this season with 41.
ORU led from start to finish in dominate fashion racing out to a 7-0 lead and holding NDSU scoreless for the first six minutes of the game. NDSU shot 25 percent on 7-of-27 shooting in the first half while the Golden Eagles built a 22 point lead at intermission.
Vicky McIntyre tallied her 19th double-double of the season by the end of the first half with 11 points and 13 rebounds. The senior finished with 13 points and 18 rebounds in the win.
Sophomore Dorottya Balla led ORU offensively with a game-high 18 points on 5-of-8 shooting and 5-of-5 from the free throw line. As a team the Golden Eagles were 16-of-19 from the free throw line to finish above 80 percent for the second straight game.
Defensively, six different Golden Eagles recorded at least one steal as Tysia Manuel led the way with four. The senior also added six points as eight different Golden Eagles scored in the win.
The Turning Point
ORU jumped out to a 7-0 lead to start the game and by the midway point in the first half led 19-5. The Golden Eagles held NDSU to just 16 first half points and five field goals in the final 10 minutes of the opening period.
Oral Roberts: Dorottya Balla paced ORU with 18 points as Vicky McIntyre finished with her 19th double-double of the season adding 13 points and 18 rebounds. Atoe' Jackson was also in double figures with 12 points.
NDSU: Holly Johnson led the Bison with 12 points while Liz Keena and Brooke LeMar each added 10.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU held NDSU to just 41 points – the lowest point total this season and lowest point total for an opponent since Sam Houston State scored just 40 points on February 14, 2013.
- ORU held the Bison without a field goal in the final 4:46 of the game.
- Dorottya Balla was 5-for-5 from the free throw line and has now made 20 consecutive free throws. Her last miss came in the second half at Denver on January 4.
- All 12 Golden Eagles saw action with eight different players scoring in the game.
News & Notes
- The win was the 40th career win for Misti Cussen as a head coach.
- ORU has now won seven straight games at the Mabee Center and is 11-1 this season at home.
- ORU matches their season-long winning streak of three games. They have won three straight twice this season.
- Vicky McIntyre tied the ORU single-season record for double-doubles in a season with her 19th. She ties Vivian Herron (1988-89) and Elisha Turek (2006-07) on the list.
- Vicky McIntyre owns the ORU and Summit League single-season rebound record with 395 boards.
- McIntyre has 117 blocks and is just two shy of Kisa Bradley's ORU single-season record (119) from 1995-96 and 20 away from Brooke McAfee's Summit League record of 137 set in 2005-06.
- McIntyre is also just seven points shy of 1,000 for her career which includes two seasons at Oklahoma State, one at Florida and one at ORU.
The Golden Eagles close out their home stand against South Dakota State Friday night. Tip-off from the Mabee Center is scheduled for 7 p.m.