A heartbroken Glenpool mother is preparing to bury her 11-year-old who died Sunday morning.
Skyler Hankins died just three days after being diagnosed with strep throat, but his mother, Katrina Hawkins, isn't sure it was strep that killed her son.
Blood work has been sent off for testing to figure out what caused Skyler to die so suddenly; and while the family waits for answers, they're trying to stay focused on Skyler's life.
He was a fourth grade student at Glenpool Elementary School and he wanted be a police officer.
“Hi mom, I'm home. So I'm wondering if I could go back to Josh and Nicki's house? K, love you. Bye,” spoke Skyler's innocent voice from the speaker of his mother's iPhone.
For most moms it would be just another message, but for Katrina, it's one of the last messages her son Skyler ever left.
“Sweet baby, that was his voice,” she said.
It's been four days since she last heard his little voice; four days since her life changed forever.
She knew Skyler was sick - she thought it was a common cold - but never imagined his life was in danger.
“They diagnosed him with strep but they didn't give him a strep test and I did not see them take his temperature either, or do any blood work,” Katrina said.
She said a nurse at the Claremore Indian Hospital diagnosed Skyler with strep, prescribed him some medicine and sent him home.
That was on New Year's Day, a Thursday, and by Sunday she'd found her son unresponsive in his bed. She tried CPR then called 911.
“Help my son's not breathing, please send an ambulance, I don't know what to do,” Katrina said. “They couldn't revive my son and he was gone.”
Gone, was the little boy who had always been so full of life, who loved his sister, Batman and being outside.
“He was very energetic. Loved Legos, loved Legos,” Katrina said. “He was just an awesome kid. He just knew how to light up a room and bring a smile to your face.”
His bedroom is a window into all the things that he loved; a room Skyler's mom just can't bring herself to go into.
“It's too hard. I got there, put my hand on his door and I walked away. I can't go in there just yet,” she said.
For now, she's holding on to the memories, and the messages.
“He's still here with me. He hasn't left. He may be with God, but he hasn't left me in spirit,” Katrina said.
It could be weeks before the Hankins family knows for sure what caused Skyler's death.
His mom said she's second guessing herself, wishing she had gotten a second opinion and praying it doesn't happen to anyone else.
"I have a lot of guild on myself because I feel like, what if I would have done this? What if I just took him back, maybe he would still be here," Katrina said. "If you feel like there's still something wrong with your child take them back in, take them again. Do it for yourself. Do it for your child."
The Indian Health Service sent a statement saying:
“The Indian Health Service is committed to providing the highest quality healthcare to the patients we serve. The IHS cannot comment on patient information based on the rules stated in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and Privacy Act requirements.”
Skyler's funeral is Friday morning at 11:00 at the First Baptist Church in Jenks.
A fundraising site has been set up to help with expenses.