Space Heater Could Be To Blame For House Fire Near Mohawk Park, TFD Says


Wednesday, December 31st 2014, 8:38 am
By: News On 6


A house fire raged near Mohawk Park near the Tulsa Zoo on Wednesday morning and firefighters said it may have been caused from kerosene from a space heater.

TFD Capt. Stan May said he believes the homeowner, in an attempt to refuel the heater, spilled kerosene and ignited the fire.

May said those types of space heaters need to cool down before you refill them. It's also the type of heater that is not made for homes. Stan says the fire could have actually saved the homeowner's life, because the heater could have given him carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters battled the fire in the 4100 block of North Winston Avenue for a while, after having a hard time because of a lack of fire hydrants near the home. They had to use 2,500 feet of hose,when the typical, May said, is about 200-300 feet.

We did see EMSA taking one person into an ambulance, but were told he is being treated for hypothermia and a minor burn. Firefighters said they found him standing outside in shorts and a T-shirt in near-zero wind chill.

We're told everyone who was inside was able to get out safely.