Forty-nine families are without heat and hot water after an overnight gas leak. Sand Springs Fire Department and ONG were called to the Charles Page Family Village at about 1 a.m. after the leak was reported.
Crews are on scene making repairs and believe the gas will be back on sometime in the afternoon.
The leak was isolated and contained so has not been a safety hazard, according to Sand Springs Deputy Fire Chief Justin Hall. But because the gas line supplies the entire living complex on Colony Drive, it affects all the homes, he said.
The former Widow's Colony provides homes for single mothers with two or more children, according to their website. It is privately owned, so the home is responsible for hiring contractors to fix the leak, the firefighter said.
Management was planning to serve lunch to the residents at a rec center. Most of the families have found a temporary place to say, but some say it's not so bad in their homes.
"They're trying to make sure they've got the right people in place," Hall said early Sunday morning. "They're going to need a back hoe and that kind of equipment to get over here and do the work."
The homes are temporarily without heat and hot water with temperatures in the 20s. Hall said the temperature is the main concern along with the possibility of frozen pipes.
"Management is making contacts to all the families to see if they have a place to go," he said. "Those that don't, they have a rec center that they can put them up in. What they don't have is temporary bedding."
Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the families.