Neighbors helped neighbors escape a south Tulsa apartment fire Sunday morning. Firefighters say when they arrived at the Westminster Apartments near 51st and Memorial about 8 a.m., a man was crawling across the roof to a ladder one of the other residents set up for him.
Three other people who were in the apartment when the fire started had already been helped down from the upstairs window, authorities say.
The fire was downstairs around the fireplace, according to a district chief. The residents were upstairs and didn't want to try to go past through the smoke to get out of the apartment, he said.
Two children and two adults made it out the upstairs window. The adult male and two kids were taken to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation.
EMSA reports that the 40-year-old man, 5-year-old boy and 8-year-old girl were all in good condition.
The district chief said the fire does not appear to be suspicious. He estimated about $30,000 in damage.
The apartment complex is going to have another unit made ready for the family.