Grove Man Tries To Move On After Fire Destroys Business


Monday, February 24th 2014, 7:17 pm
By: Craig Day


The owner of a business on Grand Lake is trying to figure out what to do next, after a fire caused several million dollars' worth of damage.

Flames and thick smoke came from the marine parts and repair business as more than 50 firefighters worked to contain the fire. The business, not far from the Elk River Bridge over Grand Lake, is a total loss.

2/23/2014 Related Story: Frankie's Marine In Grove Destroyed By Fire

In a span of only a few hours, the fire destroyed a family owned business that took two decades to build. While the debris is still smoldering, Bobby Jackson is still struggling.

"It's all gone," Jackson said. "Everything we've built is gone."

It's hard to describe the feeling, looking at what little is left of a business he helped his dad build and grow over twenty years. The fire that destroyed Frankie's Marine started in the parts area about 11:30 Saturday morning, quickly sweeping through the 20 thousand square foot building.

Thick smoke forced firefighters to shut down part of Highway 10 for several hours while the fire was contained. Several firefighters were overcome by the heat, but are okay.

The good news is, all seven people inside, including Bobby and Becky Jackson's two young children, made it out safely.

"It started far enough back I had time to get them out," Becky Jackson said.

But just about everything else; the building, the parts, the tools, it's all gone.

"You can't really tell where anything was really," Becky Jackson said.

Family and friends are helping to clear away the twisted and charred metal, so they can get a closer look at what's underneath just in case.

"Cleaning up what we can clean, and salvage what we can salvage," Bobby Jackson said.

"Pick the pieces up, silence. It's all you can do," said Becky Jackson.

The business had some insurance, but they say because of high premiums, it won't be near enough to cover the losses. So they're not sure what is next.

"We'll sit down and figure out what we're going to do," Bobby Jackson said.

The state Fire Marshall's office will determine a cause, but it's believed to have started from an electrical problem.

"The family said area firefighters did a tremendous job keeping the flames from spreading to businesses nearby. The buildings next door are only two feet away.