1 Tb. oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 ½ Tb. ground cumin
1 ½ Tb. dried oregano
1 ½ tsp. salt
8 cups vegetable stock
29 oz. can pure pumpkin puree
15 oz. can white beans, drained
2 Tb. red wine vinegar
2 Tb. honey
For the Toasted Pepita Topping:
½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup french fried onions
1. Place a large sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic and jalapenos. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft. Stir in the cumin, oregano and salt and continue to sauté another 2 minutes.
2. Add the stock, pumpkin puree and beans to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
3. Add the vinegar and honey and simmer another 3-5 minutes.
4. *Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the pepitas and onions out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a dash or two of cayenne pepper and a little salt. Toast for 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve the soup warm, sprinkled with toasted pepitas and onions
*You can also use a regular blender, but be careful! Open the vent in the lid and place a towel over it to protect from hot splashing liquid.
Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes