Gas Line Fire In South Tulsa Injures City Worker


Thursday, August 29th 2013, 12:58 pm
By: News On 6


A Tulsa city worker was rushed to the hospital in serious condition after a gas line caught fire Thursday morning.

The crew was moving a water line at a south Tulsa apartment complex when they hit a gas line, sparking a fire. The worker who was hurt was actually in the hole where the fire started.

Firefighters say the safest thing to do in this case was to let the fire burn until ONG arrived to shut off the gas.

They say having unburned gas is more dangerous, so for a little more than an hour, they just kept water on a nearby apartment building to keep it from catching fire.

"Walked around here, saw a couple fire trucks, and then just look over there and it's flames, and I was like 'What's going on?'" said resdient Christina Householder. "I went and got the kids, because I didn't know if we needed to leave or not."

Residents in the building closest to the fire were evacuated for a while.

The fire department says there is no environmental danger from the gas.