Father Says Video Proves Claims That Prompted Amber Alert Were False

Wednesday, August 28th 2013, 10:05 pm
By: News On 6

Tuesday night, authorities statewide were looking for him, and Wednesday night, he visited the News On 6 studio.

The father who sparked an Amber Alert said claims he took his son at knife point aren't true. He shared with us exclusive video he said backs up his side of the story.

Johnny Manning said he was shocked to learn there was an Amber Alert issued for his son, because he and the boy's mother made a joint custody agreement right before the Amber Alert was issued.

Manning says video he shot shows his estranged wife, Tabor, writing a custody agreement for their 3-year-old son, Kegan.

"It says about Kegan that I get him one week, she gets him one week, that we rotate weeks from Sunday to Sunday," Manning said.

8/28/2013 Related Story: Father Shocked To Be Named Suspect In Cherokee County Amber Alert

Manning said Tabor was keeping his son from him, so he followed her home from work Tuesday.

"I followed her from there to be able to find my son, get my hands on him, at least see him or bring him back with me," he said.

The boy's mother told investigators she noticed someone following too closely so she pulled over.

"I pulled right up directly beside her and I got out to speak to her and try to find out where my son was," Manning said.

Deputies say Kegan's mom told them that's when Manning forced her to write out the custody agreement.

Manning said video evidence proves she's lying. He claims Tabor told him on camera she would "call an Amber Alert on him."

8/27/2013 Related Story: Amber Alert For 3-Year-Old Cherokee County Boy Canceled

Investigators also say the boy's mom told them Manning slashed her tires and held her at knife point.

He admits to stabbing the tire, but, "The way she said I held her at knife point, none of it was true that I held her a knife point."

While Amber Alert signs flashed, Manning and his son were staying with a friend in Tulsa.

He said turning over his son to Tulsa Police Wednesday evening was the hardest thing he's ever had to do.

"He cried his eyes out and didn't want to go with the cops, but I had no other option but to turn him over or go to jail for keeping him," Manning said.

Manning said he now plans to file for full custody of his little boy.

We did reach out to the boy's mother, but she didn't respond.

As for this case, deputies say they will interview everyone involved and let the DA decide if any charges should be filed.