• Parchment paper
• 2 ½ cups walnut halves
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 4 egg whites
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place walnuts on a work surface and finely chop. Transfer to a separate large baking sheet and toast until fragrant, about 9 minutes. Let cool.
3. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Stir in walnuts. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with a fork or an electric mixer on medium until batter is just moistened. (Do not over beat batter or it will stiffen.) Drop batter by the teaspoonful onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds.
4. Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
* For a finishing touch, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information: 55 calories per cookie, 3.3 g fat (0.4 g saturated), 6.2 g carbs, 0.6 g fiber, 1.2 g protein
This signature treat delivers a delicious dose of heart-healthy fat and antioxidants, courtesy of the nuts and cocoaƒº Also these cookies are flourless- a perfect holiday recipe for those looking for gluten free desserts!
Makes 60 cookies