Shock Loses Close One In Connecticut

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 10:51 pm
By: News On 6

The Tulsa Shock was oh-so close to winning its fourth game of the season but didn't have quite enough to pull it off in overtime against Connecticut.

The Sun topped the Shock 82-80 in OT at the Mohegan Sun Arena. It would have been quite a ‘Shock' indeed if Tulsa had been able to improve on its WNBA-worst record by beating one of the league's top teams on the road. With the loss Tulsa fell to 3-18 and is still winless on the road this season, while Connecticut improved to 17-5 and is in first place in the Eastern Conference standings.

Roneeka Hodges opened the game strong for Tulsa with nine points in a run than gave the Shock a 15-8 first-quarter lead with 4:31 remaining but the Sun answered with an 11-0 run to take a 19-15 lead at the end of the quarter.

After a tightly contested second quarter, Connecticut took a 40-34 lead into halftime.

Ivory Latta provided the spark for Tulsa in the third, helping to close the deficit to just two entering the fourth quarter. Tulsa took a 66-65 lead with 5:50 remaining on a Jennifer Lacy layup and Hodges hit two big 3-pointers in the final minutes to keep Tulsa ahead 74-72. But with 13 seconds left, Connecticut got a game-tying layup to end the game into OT.

No team asserted itself in overtime but Tulsa managed to take a one-point lead with 18 seconds left on a Temeka Johnson layup but Connecticut quickly answered with a 3-pointer from Kara Lawson with 11.1 seconds remaining. Latta missed a potential game winning 3 as time expired.

The Sun had five players score in double figures. Lawson led the Sun with 19 points.

Six Shock players scored in double figures. Temeka Johnson led the Shock with 14 points and seven assists. Glory Johnson grabbed a career-best 15 rebounds. Lacy scored 14 points, while Latta and Hodges added 13 each. Amber Holt had a season-high 12 points.

Tulsa will try again for win No. 4 when it hosts Chicago at 7 p.m. on Friday.