• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 cup sweet pepper, cut into strips
• 1/2 large onion, chopped
• 2 cups fresh summer squash, cut into strips
• ½ cup carrots, cut into strips
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• 1 can (12-ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided in half
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 3/4 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
• 12-ounces whole grain pasta, cooked and kept warm
• Grilled chicken strips, cooked (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add sweet pepper. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes more until vegetables are crisp tender.
3. Stir in milk, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
4. Stir together cornstarch and chicken broth in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add to skillet; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes more.
5. Stir in fresh basil. Serve vegetables over cooked fettuccine, top with grilled chicken strips if desired, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.