Feds Deny Oklahoma's Request For Earthquake Damage Assistance


Thursday, December 1st 2011, 7:45 am
By: News On 6


The federal government is denying Oklahoma's request for assistance for residents and businesses in central Oklahoma who were hit hard by November's earthquakes.

The series of quakes in early November damaged nearly 200 homes and businesses.

Many residents did not have earthquake insurance and must cover the full cost of the damage.

The strongest was a 5.6 magnitude quake.

A short time after that Saturday, November 5, 2011 earthquake, state teams were out assessing the damage.

11/5/2011 Related Story: 4.7 Magnitude Earthquake, Aftershocks Rumble Through Oklahoma

If damage exceeds the state's ability to help, which for the state of Oklahoma it's $3-million, federal assistance may be requested.

Governor Mary Fallin says that she's disappointed with the feds decision.

"With nearly 200 confirmed homes and businesses damaged and more damage being reported to local emergency management offices daily, individual assistance is justified. "After receiving five presidential disaster declarations in one year, including snow storms, tornadoes and flooding events, Oklahomans and the voluntary agencies that are often called upon to assist them have been pushed to the limits. We felt the case for additional assistance had been made," said Governor Mary Fallin.

The governor says that she'll consider other options. That may include checking to see if there's any assistance available from U.S. Small Business Administration for homeowners and business owners.