Victim Of Violent Attack Pleads For Justice More Than 5 Years Later

Monday, March 7th 2011, 5:35 pm
By: News On 6

Lori Fullbright, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Charlene Lee was the victim of a brutal attack in Tulsa in 2004.

The statute of limitations is going to expire on her case in a few months and she wants to make one last plea for help, in hopes someone can help solve the case.

Charlene wants other crime victims to know they can get through the terrible times and come out the other side, stronger than ever.

She also hopes anyone with information about her assault, will now come forward.

The photos are horrifying. The damage the two attackers inflicted to Charlene's face and body left physical and emotional scars that took a long time to heal.

The men were wearing masks, broke into her home, tied up her 11 and 6-year-old children, then tied her with a phone cord.

They then began to burn her with a heated fork and  raped and beat her, all while asking questions she could not answer.

It was life changing for her and her kids.

"It's a part of our lives, who we are, but it does not consume us, it does not control us," Lee said.

Police believed it was a case of mistaken identity, the men had the wrong house and the wrong woman.

But Charlene suspects the men were put up to it by a man she was filing a protective order against the next day.

She hopes those with information will now talk to police.

"Please come forward. I'm somebody's daughter, somebody's sister, somebody's mother. This could very easily be your daughter, sister, and mother. It makes a difference," she said.

Charlene says she wishes cases could be solved quickly like the ones on TV, but, realizes that's not always the case.

She says an arrest would bring her peace.

"The closure for me would be like when I'm at a park or in public or walking, to know where they are, in jail. I didn't know the men who broke in so by not knowing, I don't know if they're looking at me, or know me," she said.

Charlene says with the help of counseling, she and her children overcame their fear, anger and depression.

She wants other victims to know there are better days ahead. Charlene's getting her masters, is now married, is a Sergeant in the Air National Guard and life is good, once again.

"I'm a survivor and I'm proud of myself. That's not me being cocky. I'm proud of myself," she said.

The statute of limitations for Charlene's case is seven years, which will be up this October.

The law has since changed in Oklahoma. Without DNA, the statute of limitations has been increased to 12 years. If there is DNA, there is no statute of limitations, similar to a homicide case.

Anyone with information about this case should call Crime Stoppers at 918- 596-COPS.