Tulsa Firefighters: Space Heater Likely Cause Of Fire That Destroyed Home


Thursday, February 10th 2011, 3:54 pm
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa firefighters said a space heater likely caused a fire that destroyed a Tulsa home Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters arrived at the 2nd and Sandusky home at about 2 p.m. Thursday to find heavy flames coming from the garage.

Tim Smallwood of Tulsa Fire Department said the family told firefighters they had a space heater in the garage to keep their pets warm.

Two dogs inside the garage did not survive the fire.

The family, two adults and one infant, was able to make it out safely.  The Red Cross is assisting them.

Firefighters said the home was a total loss. 

As the weather warms up and people start to get outside, firefighters are urging everyone to remember to turn off devices used to heat their homes, like space heaters and fireplaces.

"We just want to make sure people are still aware," Smallwood said.  "They're not going to have to be inside right now because it is going to warm up, but we just want people to be aware of the things they got heating their homes."

Investigators will determine an official cause of the fire.