Tulsa Firefighters Rescue Family Pets In Duplex Fire


Sunday, January 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Debris near a floor furnace may have caused a house fire in the 1300 block of South Evanston late Sunday morning. No one was home, but firefighters rescued two family pets from the duplex unit.

The fire started on the north side of a duplex where an old floor heater was operating, and Tulsa Fire Captain Matt Shearer noted that it is very important to keep the area around a floor furnace clear this time of year.

No one was home in the front unit of the duplex where the fire took place. Neighbors living in the unit in the back of the house were home and made it out safely. They also helped Tulsa firefighters find the best way in to attack the blaze.

There were two pets at home at the time of the fire. One was in good condition, and firefighters were working to revive the other.

The chief's car is equipped with an oxygen tank and face mask for animals, the firefighter said.