By Kitchen Kimberly
1 box (13.5 oz.) whole wheat penne pasta
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. butter
2 c. thinly sliced halved yellow onions
1 tsp. packed light brown sugar
6 oz. crimini mushrooms, diced
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried leaf basil
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ c. freshly chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
Garnish: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and butter; melt to combine. When mixture is hot, add onions and brown sugar; reduce heat to medium, and cook until onions are softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and kosher salt; cook and stir until mushrooms are softened, about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, crushed red and black pepper.
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer gently 5 to 7 minutes or until flavors have blended. (If desired, sauce can simmer longer and will thicken nicely.)
6. Place pasta in a serving bowl, top with zesty tomato sauce and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 servings
Kitchen Kimberley's Tips:
Got leftovers? Add 1 cup each of chopped pepperoni and shredded Mozzarella cheese to 3 or 4 cups of leftovers and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with additional cheese, if desired. Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until hot. Enjoy your Pizza Pasta Casserole!
Serve this dish with a Caesar Salad and a hearty baguette for a complete and delicious family meal!