Tulsa Toddler Attacked By Pit Bull Recovering; Dog's Future In Question

Monday, October 4th 2010, 5:46 pm
By: News On 6

Lacie Lowry, The News On 6

TULSA, OKLAHOMA -- The 2-year-old girl that was attacked by a pit bull Sunday is recovering at home. She was released from the hospital later that evening.

The dog that attacked the girl is being watched closely by the Tulsa County Animal Control--his future is questionable.

10/3/2010 Related Story: Pit Bull Attack Sends Tulsa Toddler To The Hospital

The petite 2-year-old girl, Paityn LeMaster, is bandaged and bruised. Witnesses describe a horrific scene.

"The dog jumped out of the front door and just grabbed her and just started throwing her around like a ragdoll," said Tammy Willhite, who witnessed the attack.

Willhite was watching Paityn at the Rose Rock Apartments near 17th and South Memorial, and they went to her neighbor's to ask a favor. That's where they ran into Rufus, a pit bull.

"She was screaming and I just grabbed her and started running back to my apartment, blood was squirting all over her and out of her head and all over me," she said.

Leonard Bond was letting Rufus and his owner stay with him at his apartment when the attack happened. "Boom! It happened quick, real quick," Bond said.

He says Rufus mostly stays indoors and the only problem the 70-pound dog has is it doesn't like other dogs.

"I've known him for almost a year and as far as I know, the dog doesn't like other dogs because they raised him by himself," Bond said.

Bond and Willhite have different takes on how the dog bite unfolded, but they agree on one thing. They say Rufus has always been a sweet, gentle dog.

"I've never seen him or heard of him hurting a person before... at least not as long as he's lived here he hasn't." Bond said.

Paityn is now laid up on her back, and it hurts to move. She needed about a dozen stitches.

"It doesn't matter to me if it's pit bulls or poodles, once you see something like that, there's something wrong, something wrong with that dog." Willhite said.

Animal control officers did not give a citation to the owner, saying the dog was confined in the apartment. The dog is being held at the animal shelter for the next 10 days.

It can return home after the rabies quarantine. The toddler's mother says she plans to sue the dog owner.