Tulsa Bakes Under A Hot Oklahoma Sun
Thursday, June 25th 2009, 11:32 pm
By: News On 6
TULSA, OK -- Sweltering temperatures are on tap for Tulsa today. The Tulsa Heat Coalition is meeting at this hour to discuss options if the temperatures don't break soon.
On Thursday, EMSA treated nine patients, including two children, for heat-related illnesses. That means a heat alert will remain in effect. For the week, 39 people have been treated.
Ozone Alert Declared For Friday
Hot Weather And Water Line Breaks
The heat brings with it a deadly threat. Overexposure to heat was a factor in at least two Tulsa-area deaths last summer.
EMSA offers the following tips for dealing with the high temperatures.
- Reduce outdoor activity, particularly during the late morning and afternoon hours.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine consumption, and up your water intake.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Spend as much time as possible in an air-conditioned environment; visit a library, indoor shopping mall, community center or other such venue if you don't have air-conditioning at home.
- Play close attention to those at increased risk for heat-related illness, including young children (under age 4), senior citizens, people with chronic medical conditions such as heart disease or high blood pressure, and outdoor laborers.
- Never, ever leave a child unattended in a vehicle.
Newson6.com's Extreme Heat & You