Healthy Holiday Appetizers
Monday, December 15th 2008, 4:13 pm
By: News On 6
Sweet Corn and Shrimp Cakes
- 6 pieces corn on the cob, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 oz cooked shrimp, tiny salad-size (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Purée 2 cups of corn in a food processor. Add flour, egg whites, milk, salt and chili powder; pulse several times to combine. Stir in shrimp and remaining 1 cup of corn.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. To make cakes, place 1 tablespoon of batter in skillet to make each of 16 cakes. Cook in approximately three batches of five or six cakes each until bottoms of cakes are browned, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook until lightly browned on other side, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve each cake topped with salsa and garnish with cilantro. Yields 2 cakes and 1 tablespoon of salsa per serving.
- Flavor Booster: For a hot twist on this dish, dust the corn with 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder, then puree following the recipe. Try green salsa made with tomatillos for a change.
Roasted Red Pepper and Arugula Pinwheels
• 1/2 cup light cream cheese, tub-style
• 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
• 1/4 tsp garlic salt
• 2 large burrito-size wheat flour tortillas
• 1/2 cup arugula, stems removed
• 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
• Place tortillas on a flat work surface. Spread each with 1/4 cup of cream cheese mixture. Top each with 1/4 cup of arugula and 1/4 cup of peppers. Roll up and tightly wrap in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour to allow flavours to blend.
• Remove wraps and slice into 1-inch pieces; arrange on a platter and serve. Yields 2 pieces per serving.