The Broken Arrow Fire Department spent Saturday going door-to-door checking smoke detectors and spreading awareness of the importance of having working detectors.
The push is in response to a house fire that claimed the lives of a 2-year-old and 10-year-old.
The fire happened last weekend while a family of nine slept in their home. Firefighters said lives might have been saved if the home would have had a working smoke detector installed.
"They are extremely important they are your first line of defense in a fire in case you're asleep at night," said Robert Goode, a firefighter with the Broken Arrow Fire Department.
The Broken Arrow Fire Chief, Dennis McIntire, encouraged everyone to have a smoke detector in their home and wants to help homeowners if they don't have one already.
"This is very important and we are passionate about it. Get these things up. Make sure they are working. Make sure it has a battery in it. If you don't have one give us a call," said McIntire.