Health Officials Issue Warning About Using Alternative Power


Tuesday, December 11th 2007, 6:11 am
By: News On 6


OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Health officials are warning Oklahomans about the use of alternatives fuels for heating or cooking during the power outages resulting from a winter ice storm. Oklahoma City-County Health Department spokesman H.R. Holman says grills, camp stoves and other devices that use propane, gas, natural gas or charcoal should never be used inside a home, garage or camper.

Holman says the fumes can cause carbon monoxide to build up and poison both people and pets.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, chest pain, confusion and a loss of coordination.