Ex-FBI Deputy Director Dispels OKC Bombing Conspiracy Theories In Memoir


Saturday, November 24th 2007, 2:43 pm
By: News On 6


OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The man who initially supervised the FBI's investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing says agents who re-examined the case after a resurgence in conspiracy theories found no new reliable leads.

In his memoir, ``On-Scene Commander,'' former FBI deputy director Weldon Kennedy criticized those who believe federal authorities didn't find all the people involved in the terrorist attack's planning.

Kennedy says there were no other conspirators. He says the mysterious ``John Doe No. 2'' turned out to be someone's memory playing tricks on him. Sketches of the suspect were released worldwide after witnesses said that man was with bomber Timothy McVeigh when the bomb truck was rented in Junction City, Kansas.

McVeigh was executed in 2001. Co-conspirator Terry Nichols is serving life in federal prison. Michael Fortier served years in prison for knowing about the bomb plot and not telling authorities. He was released last year.

The April 19th, 1995, bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building killed 168 people.