Medical Examiner: Overdose Killed Eric Douglas
Tuesday, August 10th 2004, 11:26 am
By: News On 6
NEW YORK (AP) _ The death of the youngest son of Oscar-winning actor Kirk Douglas was caused by an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription pills, authorities said Monday.
Eric Douglas' death last month was due to ``acute intoxication'' from alcohol and prescription tranquilizers and pain killers, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office.
Douglas, 46, was found dead inside a Manhattan apartment building July 6. There were no signs of foul play, police said.
A spokesman for the Douglas family declined to comment Monday on the medical examiner's findings.
Douglas was an aspiring actor and comedian but never found the success of his father or his Academy Award-winning sibling, Michael Douglas.
He had a short-lived acting career in the 1980s and early 1990s, playing supporting roles in movies such as ``Delta Force 3: The Killing Game.'' He also appeared in an episode of the HBO program ``Tales From the Crypt'' opposite his father, who earned an Emmy nomination for his role on the show.
In recent years, he drew attention more for his problems than performances, struggling with drug and alcohol addictions while repeatedly clashing with the law. He spent time behind bars and in rehabilitation clinics.