Fires leave at least two dead in Stroud, one injured in OKC
Wednesday, January 28th 2004, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
Two fires in Oklahoma left two people dead at Stroud and one person critically injured in Oklahoma City.
The names of the victims in the Stroud fire were not immediately released.
The fire apparently was started by a smolder log from a wood-burning stove, according to Stroud Volunteer Fire Chief Barry McCammon.
The log rolled out of the stove and was taken outside by the homeowner, where it smoldered until catching the porch on fire about 2 AM Wednesday, McCammon said.
In Oklahoma City, Glenda Helms, 57, was hospitalized in critical condition following a fire about 9 PM Tuesday at her apartment in the southwest part of the city.
Helms suffered severe smoke inhalation and first-, second- and third-degree burns to about 40 percent of her body, said fire Maj. Brian Stanaland.
The fire was confined to the bedroom of the apartment and appeared to have been started by a discarded cigarette, Stanaland said.