Grease fire shuts down parts of Oklahoma City Airport, delays some flights
Sunday, January 6th 2002, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ Parts of Will Rogers World Airport were shut down and some flights were delayed after a grease fire Saturday morning, authorities said. No injuries were reported.
Oklahoma City firefighters were called to the Arrowhead Grill in the C concourse of the airport around 11:18 a.m., Fire District Chief Larry Rusher said. Firefighters saw smoke throughout the terminal and concourse, but airport firefighters and restaurant workers with fire extinguishers put out the flames earlier, Rusher said.
Fire crews used about 10 positive-pressure fans to blow the smoke out of the building, he said. That took about 45 minutes, during which time passengers were not allowed to board flights or deplane.
``We didn't want to get passengers in there in the smoke and have that situation,'' Rusher said.
An electrical short behind a commercial grill in the restaurant sparked a fire in accumulated grease and insulation, he said. The fire caused about $5,000 damage.