Teen Burned Imitating MTV Stunt
Monday, January 29th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
TORRINGTON, Conn. (AP) â€” A 13-year-old boy was hospitalized with second- and third-degree burns after mimicking an MTV personality who set himself on fire during a stunt show.
Jason Lind was severely burned Friday night when he and a friend poured gasoline on his feet and legs and lit him on fire while imitating a stunt on MTV's high-rated show ``Jackass,'' police said. The fire grew out of control and burned the boy's legs and hands before it was extinguished, officials said.
Jason remained hospitalized Monday in critical condition in the burn unit of Shriner's Hospital for Children in Boston.
Lind's 14-year-old friend was arrested Saturday and charged with reckless endangerment. Police would not identify the suspect because he is a juvenile. Another teen who looked on was not charged.
``Jackass'' features an array of pranks and stunts. In Friday's episode, show creator Johnny Knoxville donned a fire-resistant suit hung with steaks. He then laid across a makeshift barbecue while his cast mates shot lighter fluid onto the grill to fan the flames.
One of the teens said Jason volunteered to re-enact the stunt, which took place in one boy's back yard.