Charges Against OHP Trooper Dismissed
Wednesday, October 6th 1999, 12:00 am
News On 6
WAGONER, Okla. (AP) -- The alleged victim of sexual battery by a
state trooper isn't happy, but can live with an agreement that will
result in the charge's dismissal.
Wagoner County Assistant District Attorney Eric Johnson said a
deferred prosecution deal has been verbally agreed to but not
signed. In it, seven-year Oklahoma Highway Patrol veteran Scott
Wayne Hulsey will have to obey state laws, allow a probation
officer to visit his home or place of employment and notify the
DA's office if he wants to leave the state or move.
Hulsey served a nine-day suspension in July, said John Lindsey,
legal counsel for the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. Lindsey
had previously said that Hulsey would likely be fired if he was
convicted, but now he isn't speculating on Hulsey's job future.
The alleged victim, who was not identified, told the Tulsa World
she was not happy with the agreement, but felt the case was too
stressful to continue after nearly two years.
"It want it to be over, but I don't want it to happen to anyone
else," said the victim, who is now 18. "But I will feel
responsible if he does it again. I'll feel like there's something I
The woman, who was then 16, testified at an April 1998
preliminary hearing that Hulsey had been flirting with her at a
Broken Arrow video store where she worked in December 1997.
She told officers that Hulsey, who was off-duty, groped and
kissed her inside the store. He was charged in Wagoner County in
March 1998 with sexual battery, a felony punishable by up to five
years in prison.
Hulsey denied the girl's allegations. His attorney has said what
happened was a consensual act between the pair.
Prosecutors feared they would not have been able to make the
case, calling it a "he said, she said" situation.
"We wanted to have something to hold the defendant accountable
for inappropriate behavior," Johnson said.
A lawsuit filed by the victim's parents was dismissed.