Jammal Brown's Trial Postponed
Friday, February 16th 2007, 2:46 pm
By: News On 6
COVINGTON, La. (AP) _ The domestic abuse trial of New Orleans Saints player and former Oklahoma offensive lineman Jammal Brown is postponed after a Louisiana judge rules prosecutors cannot use recordings of his wife's statements to investigators or calls to 911.
Judge Martin Coady rescheduled the trial to February 27th after ruling that using Megan Brown's statements and tapes would violate Brown's right to confront his accuser. Brown's trial had been scheduled for Thursday.
Megan Brown has not appeared in court. Defense attorney Donald Foret says she has refused to testify against Brown. The couple have separated.
Foret says the only remaining evidence is photographs of Megan Brown. The photos were discussed at a hearing last week but were not presented. The judge's ruling does not refer to them.
Brown pleaded not guilty August 16th.
Megan Brown told a sheriff's deputy on June 22nd that he grabbed her by the throat, pushed her and struck her in the head with a cap.