New Questions On Why An Accused Child Pornographer Wasn't Charged Years Ago


Monday, November 20th 2006, 10:15 am
By: News On 6


Tulsa Police are releasing few details about the investigation of accused child pornographer David Abston. Investigators say they're simply overwhelmed with the number of possible victims coming forward.

As the News on 6 first told you Friday, similar accusations were made against Abston ten years ago, but no charges were ever filed. Now the Tulsa County DA is taking a second look.

News on 6 reporter Heather Lewin says David Abston remains in federal custody, behind bars and without bail, after FBI agents say they found numerous pictures of naked children at his south Tulsa home.

While federal prosecutors pursue child pornography charges, Tulsa County officials say they are investigating the claims of about 20 children who may have been Abston's victims.

This isn't the first time he's been accused. Tulsa Police say just last year, a 19-year old man, now in prison for a series of armed robberies, told them when he was arrested, he turned to crime because he was molested as a child by Abston. Prosecutors say at the time, there was nothing to back up his story.

Janis McLain, a relative of two other possible victims, says they came forward back in 1996 and told Tulsa Police what Abston had done to them. "He sat in the bathroom when they showered, there was cameras." No charges were filed in either case. Tulsa County DA Tim Harris: "the old investigations there was insufficient evidence. I concur with that, my assistants made the right decision. But hindsight is always 20/20, so now we're going to re-look at those prior investigations, see if there's any current information or evidence that would revive those past investigations."

Even if they uncover any new information, it's too late to file charges based on the accusations from 10 years ago, but prosecutors say they could use any evidence of a criminal scheme the suspect may have repeated over the years.

Harris says because Abston will be processed first through federal courts, there's more time to thoroughly develop the case. He says if any new evidence is found in last year's case, it could be reopened.