Methadone blamed for 2004 death of UA student from Owasso


Saturday, January 21st 2006, 7:55 pm
By: News On 6


FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) _ Officials say a University of Arkansas freshman who was found dead last fall died from an overdose of methadone.

18-year-old Aron Morgan of Owasso, Oklahoma, was found dead in his Pompfret Hall dorm room on September 11th.

Police released a report Friday that concludes the death was not deliberate. The autopsy report shows methadone intoxication was the cause of the teenager's death.

Methadone is commonly used to treat heroin addiction but police say the drug can also be bought on the street. Police say that is what Morgan did. The case report says Morgan bought about a dozen of the methadone tablets from a woman in Tulsa two days before he overdosed.

Morgan was a Chancellor's Scholar and had a major in chemical engineering in the Honors College at the Fayetteville campus. In high school, Morgan was a student council member and ran track.