Friday, December 14th 2007, 12:33 pm
By: News On 6
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- 24 servings, 1 slice each
- 2/3 cup light margarine, softened2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup egg substitute
1 can (15 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup white chocolate baking chips or 2 ounces white almond bark
- 1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. In a large bowl, beat margarine until creamy. Add sugars, egg substitute, sweet potatoes and vanilla; beat until well blended.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a medium bowl. Add to margarine mixture; stir until well blended.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until no longer sticky. Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a 10- x 6-inch log. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack and cool to the touch. Reduce oven temperature to 325º F.
6. Cut each log into 1/2-inch thick slices with a serrated knife. Place slices on cookie sheets and bake 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake an additional 15 minutes. Stand slices on edge and return to oven. Turn off oven, leaving biscotti inside 15 minutes or until dry. Cool completely on wire racks.
7. Melt chocolate on medium heat in microwave oven, stirring frequently. Place in a plastic bag. Cut a small hole in tip of bag and drizzle melted chocolate on one side of each slice.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 166 calories, 31g carbohydrate, 3.5g protein, 2.7g fat, 1.1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0.9g dietary fiber, 138mg sodium
- Adapted recipe by Jennifer Parham, RD, LD