Easy Onion Soup
Wednesday, December 12th 2007, 5:18 pm
By: News On 6
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- American/Appetizers-Side Dish
- 6 servings
- 3 large white onions (about 2 pounds) thinly sliced1/4 cup light margarine (5g fat per tablespoon)
5 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
Dash of pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
6 slices (3/4 inch-thick) French bread, toasted
6 slices smoked gouda (1/2 ounce each)
- 1. Separate onions into rings, and sauté in margarine in a Dutch oven until tender.
2. Add next five ingredients (water, bouillon granules, pepper, sugar and browning sauce) and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
3. Place 6 ovenproof individual serving bowls on a baking sheet. Place 1 slice of bread in each bowl and ladle soup over bread. Top each with 1 slice cheese.
4. Broil 6 inches from heat until cheese melts.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 180 calories, 22g carbohydrate, 6g protein, 7.4g fat, 3.3g saturated fat, 16mg cholesterol, 1.7g dietary fiber, 922mg sodium
- Adapted recipe by Rachel Cly, RD,LD and Jennifer Parham, RD, LD