Crews Respond To Apartment Fire Near 81st, Riverside


Thursday, August 27th 2020, 4:10 pm
By: Jonathan Cooper


TULSA, Okla. -

Several people in Tulsa are without a place to live after an apartment caught on fire Thursday near 81st and Riverside.

Investigators said they believe it started from a cigarette or cigar that was not properly put out.  

Firefighters said everybody got out safely including some animals but there is heavy smoke and water damage to several apartments.

Investigators said it appears the fire started on a balcony and they said this is a good reminder to properly dispose of cigarettes.

"If you smoke, especially on a balcony or something and that cigarette or cigar or whatever is not properly disposed of there's a chance of fire and it could be 30 minutes later and it could be smoldering and you don't see it," Andy Little from Tulsa Fire said. "In a place like this it can be very dangerous because there are other people living in close proximity to you."

The fire department said the Red Cross will now help those impacted.