Creamy Garlic Pasta with Shrimp and Vegetables
• 6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
• 12 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 1/2 cups nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (see Tip; optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook 2 minutes less than package directions. Add shrimp, asparagus, bell pepper and peas and cook until the pasta is tender and the shrimp are cooked, 2 to 4 minutes more. Drain well.
2. Mash garlic and salt in a large bowl until a paste forms. Whisk in yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts (if using).
• Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 385 calories; 6 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 168 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 10 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium