At least 7 dogs are dead after a fire claimed a home in Sand Springs Friday afternoon. Firefighters responded to the house fire near 7th and 65th West Avenue around 1:30.
The homeowner says he had a generator running on the front porch and noticed that it was on fire. He said the whole house went up in flames when a gas can on top of the generator caught fire and exploded.
The homeowner and his wife were able to escape the house with minor injuries. However, at least seven dogs were killed in the fire.
While this was not a flood related incident, fire Marshal Mike Nobles wants to warn anyone using a generator as they return to their homes after flood waters recede. He wants to remind people to keep their generators outside and at least 10 feet from the structure to minimize risks from fumes and fire.