Hatch Pepper Cheddar Mac & Cheese
Tuesday, August 14th 2018, 1:46 pm
By: News On 6
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- ½ cup chopped hatch chilies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (substitute 2 1/4 cups of 2% Milk)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Henning's Hatch Pepper Heritage Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni. Melt butter.
- Add flour to melted butter, stirring constantly for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add cheese and whisk constantly until thick and smooth over medium heat.
- Add pasta, pour into a greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- For creamier mac and cheese - bake less and for hard and crunchy - bake up to 1 hour.
How to Roast Hatch Chiles
- First, put on a pair of plastic gloves. Hatch chiles can be spicy! Don’t touch your mouth or eyes after handling them!
- Next, wash the chiles and pat dry. Roast chiles whole or slit lengthwise to remove seeds.
Then use one of these roasting methods:
- On the grill or over gas stove: Place peppers directly on the grill/stove flames until the skin blisters and becomes slightly charred on all sides.
- In the oven: Place chiles on a baking sheet in the oven on high-heat broiler setting—about 5 inches from the broiler element—until the skin blisters and becomes slightly charred on all sides.
- Once the skin is evenly charred, place hot roasted chiles in a paper or plastic bag, or a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a towel. Let the chiles “sweat” for 15 minutes. The steam will help loosen the skin.
- Peel off the skin and use the chiles in your recipe.