Oklahoma Fried Okra
Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 1:54 pm
By: News On 6
- 1 lb fresh okra, stems removed and sliced lengthwise on the bias
- ½ cup white cornmeal
- ½ medium Fresno chili, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp rendered bacon fat
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp chopped bacon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pour cornmeal into a medium sized bowl, add cut okra and toss until all pieces are well coated. Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the bacon fat and vegetable shortening over medium heat until very hot.
- Once hot, add the okra and toss until the okra is mostly in one layer in the pan. Add the sliced chilies and continue to cook and toss until the okra is very crisp and browned.
- Season to taste with salt and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chopped bacon.