Adult, 2 Juveniles Arrested For Violent Creek County Home Invasion

Friday, July 27th 2018, 10:33 am
By: News On 6

Three people have been arrested in connection with a violent home invasion in Slick that left the victim badly hurt.

Creek County deputies said an adult and two juveniles, the youngest 14 years old, were arrested. Deputies identified one of the people arrested as 19-year-old Colby Deeringwater.

While in custody, Deeringwater apologized to the victim’s family and said the attack wasn't worth it.

"Sorry for everything. I didn't mean for that to happen," he said. “It will never happen again."

Deputies said Deeringwater, along with two other teenagers, broke into a home in Slick Thursday, July 26, 2018, and assaulted an 82-year-old man who was asleep. They said the victim is deaf and didn’t hear the men enter.

They believe the home invasion was not a random act.

“Slick is a very small, quiet community. Matter of fact, a lot of the citizens down there, since this happened, have really been a big part of solving this. They’ve reached out to us with different tips and if it wasn’t for the citizens of Slick, we still probably be trying to investigate this and try and find out who did this,” said Deputy Fred Clark.

Deputies said the suspects were looking for drugs.

Tristen: "Did you find what you guys were looking for?”
Deeringwater: “Nope."

Martha Boswell said she was asleep when she heard the victim, affectionately known to locals as “Deaf Don,” knock on her door.

"All he could say was that, ‘Three guys beat me. Three guys beat me,’" Boswell said.

She immediately called 911.

"He said they held a gun to his head and they were screaming at him," Boswell said.

Deputies arrested Deeringwater Friday, along with the two teens.

The victim went to the hospital and is expected to recover.

"Things like this don't happen in Slick. It's a very quiet community, so, like I said, it wasn't random. They went to this guy's house for a reason," Clark said.

Deeringwater admits the attack was planned, a decision that cost him his freedom.

"Because it was all planned out. Cameron said let's do it, we done it," he said.

The teens are in jail on assault and robbery complaints.