Abducted Tulsa Girl Found Safe, Suspect In Custody

Wednesday, May 9th 2018, 10:27 am
By: Emory Bryan, Justin Shrair

A Union High School student is safe after she was kidnapped at a bus stop Wednesday morning.

Police arrested her former boyfriend, 20-year-old Tony George, and booked him into jail.

16-year-old Desi Hunt was missing for three hours. She managed to call her family when it happened, that's what led to the Amber Alert.

It ended when she was able to sneak a phone call during a bathroom stop at a library.

At 7:45 a.m. police said George was somewhere near the intersection of 31st and Mingo, a bus stop for students at Union High School.

Police believe when the victim was dropped off to meet the bus, George was somewhere nearby.

“Here lately he's been calling and texting and I've contacted him to tell him to stop contacting her, she doesn't want to talk with you anymore, but he keeps calling and keeps contacting,” said Desi’s mother Roshita Hunt.

She also says that when George was dragging her daughter into his car, she was able to call her grandmother.

“When he's trying to drag her into the car, she must have called my Mom right at the moment but all she could hear was ‘Tony, No, Tony, No, I have to go to school,’ and that's the last we heard,” said Roshita. 

Union Junior Yaritza Miranda usually rides the bus with Desi.  Miranda says she and other students were waiting for the bus at around 7:45 a.m. when Desi's ex-boyfriend showed up.

"He was in the car yelling at her, 'come in and get in my car.  I need to talk to you,'" said Miranda.  "She was telling him, 'no, go and leave.  I don't want to talk to you.'"

Police say George is accused of forcing Hunt into his car and then driving off.

25 police officers started searching and working leads, and one found a witness at the high school.

“Bus riders from that bus stop this morning, at least one, corroborated the story of an unknown-to-them person forcing Desi into a car and driving off,” said Tulsa Police Corporal Brandon Disney. 

Miranda says she's never experienced anything like this before.

"That's what we were all afraid of, like, that he was gonna end off hitting her or hitting us, so we didn't get into it, but it was very scary," she said.

Three hours later, a few miles away, the victim walked into a library and called her family from the bathroom.

Police converged, confirmed the suspect’s car was there, and arrested George.

Desi was not hurt and her relieved mother picked her up.

Miranda says, "I'm doing doing better now that I know that she is okay and that she's home safe now and that they got him."

George was booked into jail for kidnapping and domestic assault and battery.