At least eighty people sought out medical attention after a chemical accident at a distilling plant in Atchison, Kansas on Friday and at least one person is in intensive care, CBS affiliate KWCH reports.
Authorities say two chemicals were mixed together which created a toxic cloud over the city. Officials told several people in Atchison to evacuate but that order has been lifted. The cloud eventually dissipated.
Officials believe the chemical that was brewed was a mix of sodium hydrochlorite and sulfuric acid. The two chemicals aren’t harmful when they’re alone but when they’re mixed, a very toxic gas is created.
According to KCTV5, around 67 people sought care at a hospital in Atchison for upper respiratory discomfort. Around eighteen others went to a hospital in St. Joseph, Missouri. The City Manager says most of the injuries are minor.
The Environmental Protection is on the way to Atchison to investigate.
MGP produces premium distilled spirits. It employs about 300 people at the Atchison plant, about 50 miles from Kansas City, the Associated Press reports.