Jury Selection Continues In Bob Bates Trial


Tuesday, April 19th 2016, 8:58 am
By: News On 6


Jury selection continued Tuesday in the second-degree manslaughter trial of former Tulsa County Reserve Deputy Bob Bates.

Around 65 potential jurors were asked questions as part of their selection process.

Bates says he accidentally pulled his gun instead of his Taser when he shot and killed Eric Harris last year.

On Tuesday, attorneys interviewed prospective jurors in person following a written questionnaire on Monday. The questionnaire asked the jurors if they've ever posted anything online about the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office and where they get their news.

An attorney for Bates told prospective jurors the case "is not about the sheriff's office."

Attorney Clark Brewster also addressed a group of 26, noting many may have seen headlines about issues at the sheriff's office, but said jurors shouldn't hold Bates responsible for problems at the agency.

Twelve jurors were struck from the pool as of Tuesday afternoon, several due to the publicity surrounding the case. Ziva Branstetter of News On 6 partner The Frontier reports that one juror said the state would "have a head start."

The process known as voir dire will continue Wednesday.

4/18/2016 Related Story: Judge Rules Profane Audio Will Be Heard In Bob Bates Trial

If you are planning on attending the trial you'll have to go through an additional metal detector outside the courtroom.

Special Coverage: TCSO Reserve Deputy Shooting Controversy