Federal Police In Belgium Issue Wanted Notice For Bombing Suspect


Tuesday, March 22nd 2016, 1:22 pm
By: News On 6


Federal police in Belgium issue wanted notice for suspect in Brussels airport bombing.

Brussels media is circulating a photo of three men suspected of carrying out the attacks at the Brussels airport, according to CBS News. CBS says police are looking for these men, although it's not immediately clear if they survived the attack.

The men are pictured at a departure gate,CBS reports. 

More than 30 people are dead and more than 100 injured after three explosions rocked the airport and a nearby train station.  

Belgian federal prosecutors say a house search in the Brussels neighborhood of Schaerbeek has "led to the discovery of an explosive device containing among other things nails."

Investigators also found chemical products and an Islamic State flag. Their statement said the Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the attacks in Brussels via a press agency but that this information still needs to be verified.

Prosecutors say it's not possible at this stage to establish any links between the attacks Tuesday in Brussels and those in Paris on Nov. 13 that left 130 people dead.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attacks at the Brussels airport and one of the city's metro stations Tuesday, saying its extremists opened fire in the airport and "several of them" detonated suicide belts.

The posting in the group's Amaq news agency said another suicide attacker detonated in the metro.

The posting claimed the attack was in response to Belgium's support of the international coalition arrayed against it. Another ISIS statement posted online threatened more attacks against countries staking part in the anti-ISIS coalition in Syria and Iraq.

"We promise the countries taking part in the coalition against the Islamic State that they will see black days in response to their aggression against the Islamic State," the statement said. "What's yet to come is worse and more bitter."

At least 36 people were killed in what Belgian federal prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw said were "terrorist attacks" in the city, which has been on high alert since the Paris carnage last year.

Meanwhile, security video shown by Belgium's VTM network shows three men that the broadcaster says police and security services consider to be suspects. It is not known if they are still alive or if the suicide bomber is one of them.