Cousin Charged In Death Of 2 Year Old; Family Hopes Mother Is Released

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 7:15 pm
By: News On 6

Now that the 13-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of his 2-year-old cousin, the family wonders if the 2 year old’s mother will be released from jail.

Christina Simmons has been in jail for child neglect, since the day her daughter, Charity Simmons, died. Christina's family said she's having medical problems and needs to be released.

Police and prosecutors say Christina is charged with child neglect because she knew her baby had a head injury and needed a doctor, but instead of getting her help, she chose to leave the house and leave Charity in the care of her 13-year-old cousin, now charged with Charity's murder.

Ruby Scott talks to her daughter Christina as often as she can and said Christina was shocked to learn 13-year-old Deniro Reddick had been charged with murdering her daughter.

8/19/2015 Related Story: Teen Charged With Child Abuse Murder In Death Of 2 Year Old

"She was stunned and relieved because it's a horrible condition, very hard for any mother to deal with something like that, and then it being someone you know added insult to injury, especially someone you trust," Scott said.

Scott has always said her daughter would not and could not hurt her baby. She said Christina loved Charity.

“They were together all the time. There's dozens of pictures and videos of how much fun they had together, the whole family," Scott said.

Police said Charity's body tells a different story. They said she had bruises on her face, stomach, palms, head, back and bottom, including a bruise in the shape of a shoe print and a bite mark.

Police got warrants for dental impressions from both Charity's mother and cousin to compare to the bite mark.

Police said on June 26th, Charity's 13-year-old cousin was carrying her around the neighborhood at 4:30 in the morning, asking for help.

A neighbor gave the girl CPR and called 911, but Charity didn't make it. Police said Christina and the cousin left the hospital before detectives got there.

Scott said with her grandbaby dead and her brother's grandson charged with the murder, the whole family is suffering.

"It's heart-wrenching, very heart-wrenching. To my brother and his family, the mother, my heart goes out to her and anyone else in this position. I just hope they get the help they need," she said.

Scott said, despite Christina's medical problems, they can't afford to bond her out of jail.

They said they are just hoping the system delivers justice in the case.

Reddick was taken into custody Wednesday evening by the Northern Oklahoma Violent Crimes Task Force near the 1900 block of South Olympia Avenue.