Three Suspects In Custody In Oologah Officer's Shooting

Friday, May 29th 2015, 12:46 pm
By: Dee Duren

The Montgomery County Kansas Sheriff's Office has released mug shots of the three people arrested in the shooting of an Oologah police officer Thursday night.

Officer Charles Neill was shot in the head during a pursuit after another officer tried to arrest three people in a Talala traffic stop. Alejandro Garcia, 22; Cesar Rios; 23, and Roxanne Mendoza, 20, were arrested by Kansas law enforcement after fleeing from the Oklahoma law enforcement officers.

Sheriff Robert Dierks said the three fled to Montgomery County and abandoned their vehicle after an encounter with deputies. Rios and Mendoza were found quickly and taken into custody.

5/29/2015 Related Story: Suspect In Oologah Police Officer Shooting Arrested In Kansas

A manhunt began for Garcia, who carjacked a red pickup from an elderly driver, authorities say. Deputies got a tip that a Hispanic male armed with a handgun was headed toward Highway 169 in the red pickup.

"Deputy Michael Grimes got behind the vehicle, and the truck crossed the highway and pulled into a driveway," the Sheriff said in a news release.

"Garcia exited the vehicle and was given commands to show his hands. Garcia walked toward the rear of the truck and began firing at Deputy Grimes who returned fire."

Garcia hid in a nearby residence in Liberty and was captured in a closet, the release states.

The owner of the pickup, David Henderson, was shot in the neck. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive, authorities say.

Sheriff Dierks thanked numerous agencies that were involved in the manhunt and capture of the three suspects. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to investigate the Oologah officer's shooting.

The incident began in Talala when an officer clocked a vehicle going 58 in a 45 mph zone. When he pulled the vehicle over, the driver gave him a license that was good only in Mexico. The officer said the driver also smelled of alcohol. He called Oologah for backup and the chase began.