One of the best offensive teams in America, the Oral Roberts baseball team was held at bay Friday night as the Golden Eagles fell 7-2 to South Dakota State. The loss snapped a 10-game home winning streak.
ORU's two runs scored were the fewest in a game since a 2-0 win against Omaha to start Summit League play March 27.
Matt Whatley had two of ORU's seven hits and had one RBI. Matt Brandy had the other RBI for the Golden Eagles, and Chase Stafford scored both runs.
South Dakota State had 12 hits, with four different Jackrabbits earning a pair of base hits. Cody Sharrow led the way going 2-4 at the plate with two runs scored and four RBIs.
The Golden Eagles were still hanging around until the eighth inning when South Dakota State put four runs on the board to make it 7-1.
Oral Roberts: Whatley was 2-3 at the plate with a walk and an RBI. Guillermo Trujillo pitched seven innings and gave up three runs on seven hits.
South Dakota State: Sharrow had four of the team's seven RBIs, three coming on one swing in the second inning.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU's seven hits were the fewest since notching seven in a 4-2 win against Oklahoma State March 31.
- The Golden Eagles have lost back-to-back Summit League games for the first time since dropping the first two games of a four-game series against Western Illinois in 2011.
- Derrian James (13), Noah Cummings (12) and Stafford (8) all extended their on base streaks in the game, while Logan Domenico's came to an end at nine games.
- Cummings extended his hitting streak to eight games, the longest active streak on the team.
- Stafford scored both ORU runs in the game.
- South Dakota State took a 3-0 lead in the top of the second on a three-run homerun by Sharrow. It was his second homerun of the season.
- ORU got one run back in the third, loading the bases before a sacrifice fly to left center by Brandy to score Stafford from third.
- Sharrow tallied his fourth RBI of the day on a bloop single to left-center field in the eighth to put the Jackrabbits up 4-1.
- Eric Danforth followed with another single into left-center, and Paul Jacobson pushed one up the middle to make it 6-1 in the eighth.
- In all, the Jackrabbits plated four runs in the eighth to take a 7-1 lead after a sacrifice fly ball scored the final run of the inning.
- Whatley's double into the gap scored Stafford in the bottom of the ninth to make it 7-2.
The two teams will face off again Saturday at 2 p.m. and then in the series finale Sunday at 1 p.m.