Anthony Sequeira smashed a ball over the wall in right field for a grand slam in the first inning and the Oral Roberts baseball team never looked back as the Golden Eagles used seven extra base hits in a 15-2 victory over UALR Tuesday night.
In addition to 12 hits, ORU took advantage of 16 walks, more than double the number from any other game this year. Sequeira and Whatley each had three hits for ORU, with Sequeira accounting for seven RBI. He had a solo home run in addition to his grand slam, the first Golden Eagle since Jose Trevino to hit a pair of home runs in the same game. Whatley was also walked three times, as was Nick Roark.
Bryce Howe (1-1) got the win on the mound for ORU, going a season high five innings with four strikeouts. Howe allowed just one run on five hits. Sean Leary and Colin Hightower closed out the game for ORU, pitching an inning each.
For UALR, Kyle Kirk was the lone bright spot offensively, going 3-3 in the game with an RBI. Preston Oberling, who was responsible for eight walks in 2.1 innings, took the loss on the mound in his first career start. Oberling was charged with six runs and just one hit.
After three walks loaded the bases to start the game, Sequeira put the ball over the right field wall for the grand slam to give ORU a 4-0 lead in the first inning.
Oral Roberts: Sequeira and Whatley each had three hits in the game. Sequeira led with seven RBI while Whatley led the way with three runs scored, reaching base safely in all six at bats.
UALR: Kyle Kirk had three hits to lead the Trojans offensively.
Inside the Box Score
- The 13 run victory is ORU's largest since topping Northwestern State 15-0 in seven innings March 14, 2014.
- ORU also set offensive season records for runs scored (15), RBI (13), home runs (2), stolen bases (4) and total bases (23).
- With two homeruns, including a grand slam, and a two RBI double off the wall, Sequeira knocked in seven ORU runs, the most by a Golden Eagle this season.
- ORU drew five walks in the first inning alone to help the Golden Eagles open up a quick 4-0 advantage. ORU ended up drawing 16 free passes, the most this year.
- The Golden Eagles put the leadoff man on in all seven innings, including a leadoff double in the fifth by Emmanuel Forcier and a leadoff home run by Sequeira in the sixth.
- Whatley reached base safely all six appearances at the plate, tying the season high mark for the Golden Eagles with three walks, coming in his first three at bats of the game. Whatley followed that with hits in his next three at-bats.
- With 12 hits in the game, the Golden Eagles now have 10 hits or more in their last four games.
- The seven runs scored in the sixth are the most in an inning this season for ORU, and marked the fourth straight game with at least five runs in a single inning.
- With 7.1 combined innings entering Tuesday's game, Howe had his longest outing of the season at 5.0 innings.
- Sky Bushyhead made his second appearance of the season for ORU, coming in for an at bat in the seventh and staying in to play second base.
- Three of the first four batters to the plate in the game drew walks for the Golden Eagles, loading the bases for Sequeira. Sequeira cleared them with one swing, hitting the first grand slam of the season for ORU and the first since Audie Afenirdid it March 14, 2014 against Northwestern State.
- With runners on first and second in the top of the third, the Golden Eagles executed a perfect double steal with Derrian James and Roark, setting up another run on a balk to make it 5-0.
- A double to the wall from Dean Wilson scored Roark from third to make it 6-0 after three innings.
- UALR finally got on the board in the bottom of the fourth after a leadoff double from Tanner Rockwell. Kirk singled up the middle to score the first run of the game for the Trojans, making it 6-1.
- With a solo home run in the sixth inning, Sequeira became the first Golden Eagle to hit two home runs in the same game since Jose Trevino March 11, 2014 at Kansas.
- James and Roark combined for a run again in the sixth as Roark pounded a double off the wall to score James and make it 8-1.
- ORU was far from done in the sixth as the Golden Eagles loaded the bases with no outs, and got an RBI infield single from Whatley to score one, and added two more on an RBI single to center field to make it an 11-1 ORU lead.
- With Sequeira up for the second time in the inning, the senior nearly hit his third home run and second grand slam of the game, pounding one off the wall in center for a two-RBI double to put ORU up 13-1.
- ORU loaded the bases again in the seventh, scoring runs on a balk and a sacrifice fly from Afenir to go up 15-1.
- After an error and a wild pitch by ORU in the bottom of the seventh, an infield single by Ryan Scott scored a run to give the 15-2 final margin.
ORU hosts preseason favorite Omaha at J.L. Johnson Stadium for a three game series. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.