The "unorthodox" therapy received by a woman who was treated at Tulsa's Camelot Cancer Care most likely played a factor in her death, according to the state Medical Examiner's office.
Karin Kloeckner died of septic shock and kidney failure brought on by liver cancer which was exacerbated by DMSO treatment, according the ME's autopsy.
Her husband, Dennis, said his wife had problems with her liver, which is why she sought treatment at Camelot.
According to the Medical Examiner's report, the damage to Karin's liver was increased due to the use of demethyl sulfoxide, called DMSO. The report says DMSO is an industrial solvent that's a by-product of making paper.
A federal complaint against Camelot and its operator, Maureen Long, says the drug she used to treat patients was DMSO.
In the spring of 2013, the Food and Drug Administration shut down Camelot Cancer Care, accusing Long of using drugs to treat cancer patients that were not FDA approved.
11/7/2014 Related Story: Tulsa's Camelot Cancer Care Owner In Trouble After Patient Dies
The state said Long prepared the drugs in the basement of her south Tulsa home and administered them at various hotels around town.
It said conditions were unsterile and Long and her assistant were inserting PICC lines – a heavy duty IV – into a vein in the chest near the heart to administer the drugs.
The ME's report says the "unorthodox DMSO therapy most likely contributed to development of acute toxic hepatitis and fulminant liver failure."
The ME's office said it classified the death as an accident since there was no indication of any intent to harm the patient.
This is a developing story and News On 6 will have updates as they become available.