Tulsa firefighters say a neighbor's smoke alarm alerted a woman to a kitchen fire in her own apartment. About eight units were affected by the overnight fire at The Landing complex, 11th and Mingo.
"She came outside and started screaming for help," said District Chief Glenn Brigan, Tulsa Fire Department. Brigan said the woman usually had her two young daughters in the apartment, but they were spending the night elsewhere.
"She was very fortunate," he said.
Brigan said most of the residents in the complex building had made it out of the apartments by the time Tulsa Fire Department arrived on scene.
Resident Cody Higgins said he was on the balcony when he heard a woman yell for help. He said he and some other neighbors got a ladder and helped some small children get out of the building.
Chief Brigan said it took four or five minutes to get the fire under control. Four units had heavy smoke damage and four other units sustained some smoke damage.
Firefighters got one cat down from one apartment, he said.
At least two residents were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
"To my knowledge, they weren't transported," he said.
The Red Cross showed up quickly and was arranging alternate housing for the woman and her two daughters.
"Everybody else should be able to go back into their apartment," said TFD District Chief Glenn Brigan.
The cause of the fire was thought to be unattended food cooking on the stove, but the fire is still under investigation by the state fire marshal.